Hurlstone Park NSW

From Canterbury Commons
Jump to: navigation, search

Early Land Grants

Hurlstone Park
SydneyNew South Wales
Population: 4,692 (2011 Census)
Postcode: 2193
LGA: City of Canterbury, Municipality of Ashfield
State electorate: Canterbury
Federal Division: Grayndler
Cooks River near Ewen Park, Hurlstone Park, ca 1990s.
Officially white settlement began in Hurlstone Park (originally Fern Hill) with two land grants. One grant went to John Homerson on 12 November 1799. The second was granted to Thomas Moore on 1 October 1803. John Homerson"s land was bought by William Cox, who in turn sold it to Roberrt Campbell.
Horse-drawn bus on Canterbury Road, Hurlstone Park, ca 1908.
This land was renamed "Canterbury Estate". On 21 July 1830, Thomas Moore's property was sold to Dr John Wardell and became part of the "Robert Wardell Estate". It appears there was some confusion as to the boundaries of these properties as both claimed the other held part of their land.

Railway

The decision to establish a rail service to Fern Hill (later Hurlstone Park was delayed for many years with decisions regarding proposed routes, the resumption of property and the high expense of building a railway in lieu of extending tram services along existing routes all contributing. The launch of construction on an actual railway route through the Canterbury district form the city brought a boom to the area with the promise of work for some, and for others the attraction of improved accesss from jobs in the city to residences in the district. On 1 February 1895, the official opening ceremony for the completion of the section of railway from Sydenham to Belmore, including a platform at Fern Hill prompted another boom in the settlement of the area.


Fern Hill Estate

On September 21, 1895, the area surrounding Fern Hill Station was to be auctioned as the Fern Hill Station Estate. This land was brought by retailers, trades people and professionals. Some of the people were:


Mrs E. Size - confectioner

J. Armistead - fruiterer
Tram, Canterbury Road, Hurlstone Park, 1954. Photograph courtesy Norm Reed.

J. Sanders - butcher
Walter Phillips - storekeeper
Daniel R. Alderton - surveyor
Benjamin W. Rablah - chemist
Charles J. Merfield - astronomer
Stephen Herford - solicitor
W. W. Dunk - painter
Richard T. Davies - builder
Nurse Kennard
J.W.E & E.J.I. Pople - music teachers
Miss R. Burne - dressmaker
Herbert E. Robertson - contractor
and S. T. Davies - plumber.

Post Office and the Naming of Hurlstone Park

In 1910, a new post office was planned in Fern Hill, but the Postal Department insisted that the name of the locality would need to be changed, because there were already two post offices with that name, one in Victoria and one in Queensland. A referendum was held in conjunction with a municipal election, and the electors, gven a choice of Fernboro, Garnett Hill or Hurlstone, chose Hurlstone, the name of the nearby Agricultural High School. The Railways Department agreed to the change in the area name , as well as the station, on condition that "Park" would be added to avoid confusion with Hillston in western New South Wales.


Sources

MADDEN, Brian J. and MUIR, Lesley. Canterbury Farm: 200 years. Earlwood, NSW: Canterbury & District Historical Society, 1993.