Sydney, New South Wales
|Population:||4,956 (2011 Census)|
|LGA:||City of Canterbury|
|State electorate:||Lakemba, Oatley|
|Federal Division:||Watson, Banks|
Tuckwell and Podmore sold their grants to Patrick Moore and Robert Gardner, both ex-convicts, in 1819 and 1820, and "Bob the Gardener", as he was known, began to clear trees and develop a farm on Podmore's grant, which he called "Sunning Hill Farm". The property was later extended to cover Emery's 30 acre grant next door. This was farmed by Gardner's adopted son, Thomas Gardner Whitehall.
At that stage there were very few farms in the district. Men earned a living by cutting down the trees and selling the logs for firewood and timber to build houses and boats. Narwee did not exist as a locality; it was called "Bob the Gardner's Farm", and there were so few people living in the area that bushrangers could easily hide for weeks in the forest without being discovered.
At the top of the hill, in the block surrounded by today's Shorter Avenue, Penshurst Road, Grove Avenue and Karne Street, there was a farm and orchard called "Stacey's Farm". Dennis Stacey, the ex-convict owner, lived there at first, and later it was occupied by Joseph Williamson. A wooden cottage containing four rooms, with a kitchen built separately for fear of fire was built, plus a stable, a fowl house, and huts for the men working on the property.
When Bob the Gardener died in 1873, he was, it was claimed, over one hundreds years old. His farm was left to his wife, Sarah or Basalena Gardner, his step-children, the Hickman family, and his only son, also named Robert Gardner. When rumours that a new railway would be built through the district began to spread in Sydney, a land speculator called William Graham Cameron persuaded the family to sell Sunning Hill. In 1885, however, the Minister for Public Works, decided on a more northerly route, and Cameron was unable to sell his land. For this reason, he became one of the most vocal opponents of the railway to Burwood Road (now Belmore). The property was eventually subdivided by the Intercolonial Investment Land and Building Company Ltd in 1912, and sold as the ten-acre farms of the "Graham Park Estate", each costing between 65 Pounds and 142 Pounds 10 Shillings.
Sydney Hunt Club
In the 1830's, the Sydney Hunt Club used to hold its hunting meetings in this area. Reports in the newspapers of the time tell of groups of men trotting through the thick forest below Oatley's (near Beverly Hills) and chasing deer across Bob the Gardener's and other nearby farms. It was called "wild and difficult country". The deer were imported by the upper classes when they came from England, so they could follow the same gentlemanly sports they did at home. The fields of young barley particularly attracted the deer, and many a crop was damaged by first being grazed by escaped animals, and later being galloped across by the Hunt in pursuit of a good day's sport.
1931 Railway and Name
The suburb was named when the railway was built in 1931. Narwee is an Aboriginal word meaning "sun", an appropriate name for an area once called "Sunning Hill Farm". People living there at the time were mostly poultry farmers and market gardeners, and a city florist had a large garden west of the railway station. After the railway came through, people bought up land for residences. Little building was done during the Depression and World War II, but the suburb grew rapidly in the 1950's, when the area was settled by young families.
MUIR, Lesley. Narwee: early history. In: Canterbury & District Historical Society Journal Series 2, No. 12 .