Timeline- History of Canterbury and District
From Canterbury Commons
|1770||Captain Cook's officers make first explorations of Cooks River.|
|1789||Cooks River explored to the vicinity of Canterbury by Captain John Hunter.|
|1793||100 acres granted to Rev. Richard Johnson and named "Canterbury Vale".|
|1795||First crop of wheat on Canterbury Farm.|
|1798||First known use of the name "Cook's River".|
|1800||A vineyard, orange, nectarine, peach and apricot trees, and 24 acres of crops at Canterbury Farm, 150 sheep, and 30 men working, after Johnson sold to William Cox.|
|1802||Birth of Joseph Ward, believed to have been the first white child born at Canterbury.|
|1803||Robert Campbell purchased Canterbury Farm.|
|1804||500 acres granted to Hannah Laycock and named "King's Grove Farm".|
|1809||Attack by aborigines on Bond's Farm at present-day Punchbowl.|
|1810||Governor Macquarie visited Kingsgrove and Canterbury.|
|1833||Cornelius Prout commenced a punt across Cooks River at Canterbury.|
|1834||Murderers of Dr. Wardell of Petersham captured on the farm of the late Judge Stephen on the Punchbowl road.|
|1840||Bridges built across Cooks River at Canterbury (Prout's) and Tempe (Unwin's).|
|1841|| Canterbury village commenced. |
Canterbury Sugar Works opened.
Wesleyans erected a church and commenced a school at Canterbury.
Kingsgrove Farm subdivided for sale.
|1843||The "Canterbury Arms" becomes the district's first licensed inn.|
|1846||Canterbury Village population 218, with 65 Houses.|
|1849||First Church of England Service at Canterbury.|
|1851|| Moorfields Methodist Church opened. |
Canterbury Village population 473.
|1853||Prout's Bridge incident, involving John Chard.|
|1854||Canterbury Road proclaimed as a Parish Road and proposed to extend it to Punchbowl Road.|
|1855|| Tompson's Bridge opened(Undercliffe). |
Sugar works closed.
|1858||Opening of first Canterbury Post Office.|
|1860||Consecration of St. Paul's Church of England, Canterbury.|
|1861||Canterbury Village population declined to 319.|
|1862||Moorfields Public School opened.|
|1869|| A wagonette was carrying passengers from Canterbury Village to Sydney. |
Belmore Church (now St. Saviour's Church of England, Punchbowl) opened.
Belmore Public School opened at present day Punchbowl.
|1870||First Kingsgrove Post Office opened, probably on Bexley Road, Near Homer Street.|
|1871||Canterbury Village population 535.|
|1872||Essex Hill school, on Punchbowl Road, opened in Congregational Church; to operate as a half time school with Belmore.|
|1878|| Canterbury Church of England School closed and Canterbury Public School established. |
Methodist Church opened at present day Earlwood.
3000 people attended Queen's Birthday Cup at Canterbury Racecourse.
|1879|| Canterbury Municipality incorporated. |
School at Essex Hill and Belmore closed, new Belmore school opened at Wiley Park.
Belmore Post Office opened, at present day Wiley Park.
|1881||Population of Municipality 1175.|
|1885|| Campsie Park Estate advertised for sale. |
First garbage service.
|1886||Gas supply extended into Municipality.|
|1888||First savings bank opened.|
|1889|| Water piped into Canterbury. |
Canterbury Town Hall in Canterbury Road, between Canton Street and Howard Street, opened.
|1891||Population in Municipality 2426.|
|1894||St. Anthony's Catholic Church, Canterbury, opened.|
|1895||Railway from Sydenham to Belmore opened.|
|1900||Coursing ground established adjacent to Belmore Station.|
|1901||Population of Municipality 4226; 935 buildings.|
|1903||Belmore North Public School opened.|
|1904|| Army encampment held at Canterbury-Campsie, Easter weekend. |
First local newspaper, "The Alert", established.
|1906||Municipality extended to Salt Pan Creek|
|1908||Campsie Public School opened.|
|1909||Railway extended from Belmore to Lakemba, Punchbowl and Bankstown.|
|1910||Campsie Picture Palace Co. opened a cinema in Campsie.|
|1911|| "Fern Hill" changed to "Hurlstone Park". |
Population of Municipality 11,335, with 2329 buildings.
|1913|| Lakemba Public School transferred to present site, replacing school at Wiley Park, formerly called Belmore.|
Electricity extended to Municipality.
|1915||First motor bus service in Municipality.|
|1916||Goods line, Lidcombe, Enfield Yards, Campsie, Dulwich Hill, Rozelle opened. Earlwood Public School opened.|
|1917||Belmore South Public School opened replacing Moorefields Public School.|
|1918||First Secondary school (Canterbury Boys' Intermediate High) in the Municipality.|
|1921|| Tram service extended from Hurlstone Park to Canterbury. |
Population of Municipality 37,639 with 8225 occupied dwellings.
|1924||Tram service extended from Undercliffe to Earlwood.|
|1926||Bankstown line electrified.|
|1926-1929||Public Schools opened at Canterbury South, under name of Clemton Park, Hurlstone Park South, Ashbury, Undercliffe, Punchbowl, McCallum's Hill and Clemton Park.|
|1929|| Canterbury House demolished. |
Canterbury District Hospital opened.
|1931||Railway from Tempe to East Hills opened/|
|1933||Population of Municipality 79,050, with 18,551 occupied dwellings.|
|1938||Wiley Park Railway Station opened.|
|1943||Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt (wife of U.S. President) visited the American Army Hospital, Herne Bay, (now Riverwood).|
|1947||Population of Municipality 99,396, with 24,537 occupied dwellings.|
|1948||Kingsgrove Bus Depot opened.|
|1954||Population of Municipality 109,871, with 29,923 occupied dwellings.|
|1956||Kingsgrove gasometer exploded.|
|1961|| Trams to Earlwood replaced by buses. |
Population of Municipality 113,820, with 31,903 occupied dwellings.
|1963||Council administrative building at Campsie opened. Old Town Hall demolished.|
|1965||Roselands Shopping Centre opened on site of Belmore House.|
|1966||Population of Municipality 115,802, with 34,575 occupied dwellings.|
|1971||Population of Municipality 130,446, with 41,165 occupied dwellings.|
|1976||Population of Municipality 128,669, with 43,937 occupied dwellings.|
|1977||John Mountford elected as Mayor -- 1977-1980|
|1979||Celebration of Centenary of local government in the Municipality.|
|1980||Kevin Moss elected as Mayor -- 1980-1984|
|1984||John Gorrie elected as Mayor -- 1984-1995|
|1986||A new Canterbury City Library was officially opened/|
|1987||The district of Roselands was named after Roselands Shopping Centre, and officially became a suburb in its own right on 9 February 1987, after some years of agitation by local residents and members of parliament. It was previously part of Punchbowl, and retains the same postcode as Punchbowl: 2196.|
|1993|| The Local Government Area of Canterbury attained City status, and became known as Canterbury City Council. |
"Canterbury 200" celebrated, the biecentennary of the first land grant in Canterbury.
|2001||Suburb of Clemton Park gazetted. In response to lobbying by residents, council supported an application to the Geographical Names Board to create a new suburb of Clemton Park from sections of South Campsie and Belmore South. The suburb is bounded by the area between William Street, Kingsgrove Road, Bexley Road and Cup and Saucer Creek.|
|2003||Robert Furolo elected as Mayor -- 2003 - 2011|
|2011||Brian Robson elected as Mayor -- 2011|
|2016||The city was amalgamated with the City of Bankstown on the 12 May 2016, forming Canterbury-Bankstown Council. Richard Colley was appointed as the Administrator, and Matthew Stewart appointed the Interim General Manager.|