Wiley Park NSW
The foundation of this article derives from early library leaflets from the 1980s. Please see Local History Leaflets (City of Canterbury Library Service).
| Wiley Park|
Sydney, New South Wales
|Population:||9,698 (2011 Census)|
|LGA:||City of Canterbury|
This park is named after John F. Wiley who bequeathed land for the park to Canterbury Council when he died in 1895. There was controversy about the cost of upkeeping a new park in an area where there were few residents, and a public meeting voted that Council reject the offer of land. Initially many Councillors also opposed accepting the land as a park but eventually voted in favour provided it could find people prepared to act as trustees of the park. Wiley Park formally became owned by Canterbury Council in 1907 and by 1909 Council itself became the trustee of the park. There remained a park committee who gave their labour voluntarily to improve the park.
The suburb was named after this park, partly because the railway station was on Wiley's Avenue(near King Georges Road), which ran from Wiley's property on the corner of Canterbury Road to Punchbowl Road.
A pavillion was erected in 1921 and a childrens playing area in 1923. A proposal to erect a swimming pool at Wiley Park was first raised in 1928, and over the next few years the proposal gained support of Council who set aside money for the poll and even called tenders to build it. However the pool was never built.Lakemba Cycling Club and later the Bankstown Sports Club. However when Canterbury and King Georges Roads were widened across two frontages of the park in the 1970's, the grandstand, oval and cycle track had to be removed. The velodrome was moved to Waterworth Park at Tempe.
Wiley Park has since been redeveloped as a passive recreation area with a pond. It hosts the Wiley Park Bicentennial Amphitheatre, opened in 1988, which seats 2,500 people. This recreation area was constructed by Canterbury Council.
JERVIS, James : A History of the Municipality of Canterbury. Campsie, NSW: Canterbury City Council, 1951.
LARCOMBE, Frederick A. Change and Challenge.